OUR LEARNING ENVIRONMENTS
We believe that play provides opportunities for children to learn as they discover, create, improvise and imagine. When children play they have opportunities to develop social groups, test out ideas, challenge other peoples way of thinking and build new understandings.
- allows for the expression of personality and uniqueness
- offers opportunities for multimodal play
- enhances thinking skills and lifelong learning dispositions such as curiosity, persistence and creativity
- enables children to make connections between prior experiences and new learning and to transfer learning from one experience to another
- assists children to develop and build relationships and friendships
- develops knowledge acquisition and concepts in authentic contexts
- builds a sense of identity
- strengthens self-regulation, and physical and mental wellbeing.
18 Months – 2 1/2 Years
This is an age where children are finding independence, beginning to form relationships with peers, and beginning to participate and play in groups. They have a strong curiosity of the world around them, and enjoy active participation and discovery in all that they do. Our programs in the Toddlers room have a strong focus on promoting self help skills, supporting the children as they learn to do more things for themselves, such as toileting, dressing, feeding.
This is also the age where children go through the stage of everything belonging to them and not wanting to share, where they begin to display some very strong emotions that they don’t really understand. Our educators support children, and guide them to begin to learn to understand their emotions, and those of others, to develop social and emotional wellbeing, and learning to regulate their own emotions and behaviors.
We support the children’s developing language and communication skills, incorporating different experiences that will promote communication, and verbalization, encouraging them to verbalise their needs, and responding appropriately to cues and signs.
We also provide experiences that challenge our children’s physical skills, helping them to become more competent in their abilities, as they explore their environment.
3 1/2 Years – 5 Years
Our Early Childhood Teacher develops and implements a high quality, Preschool Program, promoting the value of collaborative learning and problem solving, with a strong focus on children’s interests, community activities, and natural environment.
Our preschool program is guided by the Early Years Learning Framework, and the NT Preschool Curriculum, which has a stronger focus on children aged 3 ½ to 5 years of age. We focus on ‘school readiness’ to support children in their transition to a formal school setting.